Listen to Larian prattle dishonestly like manipulative con-men:

Part of the decision is that we know turn-based, and secondly, it’s that Fifth Edition [D&D] is played in rounds, so it kind of made sense.

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are also played in rounds. Being played in rounds has no bearing on whether something makes sense to be TB or RTwP.

A round can be an increment of time, and you can do it real-time and pause, but it made sense – again, I’m not saying you can’t do these things in real-time and pause, but I think it’s a lot harder

It lets you do things like separating the party and having one person on high ground and one person on low ground. It means when the combat starts, there’s a better sense of, ‘I’m going to get a sense of the tactical situation. I’m going to send this person over here, I’m going to do that, I’m going to send this person behind and shove an enemy.’

That level of control and being able to just zoom out and say, ‘okay, what am I doing here? What do I think I want to do?’ I can go into my inventory, I can just take stock. I don’t feel like I waste movement as much.

Literally, all of that is possible in RTwP, and without wasting any movement. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 feature an auto-pause option that pauses the game after each character round so that not a single inch of movement is wasted. But playing in a way that doesn't waste any movement actually takes more time than playing in real-time. So, there's nothing "harder" about RTwP - and previously people have even been trying to argue that BG3 ought to be TB because it makes the game harder. So, it really appears that dishonest people will flip-flop any which way to rationalize what they want, rather than basing their proposals on understanding and reason.

And it seems clear that Larian are sellouts and con-men, as well as hack developers if they went with TB because "we know turn-based". The probable reality is that they simply calculated that they could exploit Baldur's Gate's fans and D:OS fans by making BG3 a reskin and clone of D:OS while using the BG name.