Originally Posted by Bercon
I really don't understand how name is such a big deal for people. I'm hardcore Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 fan. I played them when they first came out and I've played them and EE versions on and off for two decades. However, I don't think I own "Baldur's gate" brand and get to say how the next game must be. I'm curious, where do people get this notion that it's their right to judge how the sequel must be like? Does playing some game a lot over the years give me right to dictate exactly how it must continue?

To my knowledge there is no globally accepted set rules that sequels must follow to be considered legitimate. Could somebody point me to the criteria?

Judge? Well I can only speak for myself but I don't judge or dictate how the sequel should be (indeed, many feel this isn't so much a sequel as another game set in the same place as the Baldur's Gate games of the past). I offer my opinions, nothing more. Larian is free to (and will) do as they please. I have no illusions otherwise. Larian has provided this place to voice any concerns, opinions, thoughts, feelings, etc we may have on the subject of Baldur's Gate 3. If they find value or something of use in some of this feedback, great. If not, great.

I have concerns about how some things are implemented, but overall, none overly worth mentioning. My big concern, as my various posts can testify to, is that the '3' seems inappropriate to use, for reasons I've explained ad nauseum elsewhere (basic summary: using the '3' is an obvious and vulgar marketing tactic that they don't need to use, this game can easily sell itself using just the Baldur's Gate name alone, without the implication the '3' brings with it). Do I think I hold some rights that should be heeded and acted upon? Nope. If Larian decides to stick with the '3' (or is well past being able to do anything about it), cool, I've said my piece.

I still intend, at present, to buy and play this upon final release anyway...unless some kind of Sword Coast Legends-type catastrophe befalls it during development...then I shall not buy it (but I find that scenario quite unlikely given Larian's pedigree).