XCOM is great, BUT...

XCOM is very much about sending in a strike team into an area to deal with a specific situation. You choose a squad (party) and look to use the terrain to your benefit against unknown odds. In and out. If I see a Xeno rushing my sniper position, do I panic, does the character panic, do I try and move him or her away, do I risk a different action from another squad member to save them? Oooh, it's tense, but also because death means my levelled up crew are no longer there, so I have to balance rookies vs elite squadies and I have to balance stealth, slow approach vs storming in guns blazing. But that is because I am going into every mission with the same principle. Gun down Xenos and extract, so TB tactical works for the gameplay and the setting.

Baldur's Gate is a party, yes, can now use terrain, good... but it's much more dynamic. These are my peeps that will for the most part, be with me through the story. We wander into situations that at first glance might not be danger, but turns into it and if my party wipes, it's game over not just mission over! I don't want a long dialogue to turn into a long and hopeless TB fight that I have to reload. Here I have to say the advantage of the messy RTwP shines through, because if I die quickly, reloading isn't so bad I rethink my opening decisions, but yeah I am at the mercy of the gods of chaos. :hihi:

I'm ok with TB here in BG3 as I have said, but that doesn't mean I don't have reservations or that I don't understand where the love for RTwP comes from, I just don't cling to it as a defining mechanism for Baldur's Gate, others do...