For me it's weird. easily I prefer turn-based since I've always been a fan of those kinds of RPG games growing up so there's the nostalgia factor but I also like that it emulates playing 5e more which is in fact turn based as well. In fact when other cRPGs like Pillars implemented a turn based mode, I never looked back.

That being said, I get there's the disconnect considering fans of the classic games grew up/played with the RTwP so that in itself is valid. In a perfect world we'd get offered both options but a lot would need to be changed if that were the case. Personally I will always prefer Turn-Based as I like being able to move around tactically, positioning is really fun in my opinion and I like that sense of strategy.

I think the only game where I felt like RTwP really showed me the fun potential was Dragon AGe Origins on PC. I really loved that RTwP for some reason, It might just have to do with the graphical presentation of it and how I could move around the camera in view while it was paused as opposed to the 2 dimensional presentation of the classic games and even Pillars.

I think if they were to pull a Pillars and implement a different gameplay mode to make everyone happy that would be ideal but honestly it's not realistic since it's best if they iron out the more pertinent things such as plot, variable permutations and adding weight to choices and customization and the overall writing. One thing I also always liked about Larian games so far considering the D;OS duology is that in my experiences at least they've been relatively bug free and clean and being biased to Turn-Based combat, I don't mind them sticking to it.

I feel for all of the fans who were sorely disappointed though and one thing I think will be unavoidable are the connections and similarities to D:OS consideing that it's also on a turn-based engine and no matter what that aspect will be inescapable.