It really depends. I expect it will sell well. I expect it will review well and receive a lot of acclaim.

Regarding playing BG1/2 before playing BG3, you are setting yourself up for disappointment on two counts. Firstly, the story of the Bhaalspawn saga has concluded. You will finish BG2 and Throne of Bhaal utterly satisfied. In this way, you will be disappointed if you expect a continuation of this story. It happened as events in the past, but is not the focus of BG3. Secondly, the games themselves will differ greatly. BG1/2 are Real-time with Pause cRPGs set in an open world with non linear progression. BG3 will be a Turn-based cRPG set within Act-based maps/locales with a linear narrative. In this way, if you expect that BG3 will play the same as BG1/2, you will be disappointed.

That being said, this is only to say that they are different products, and you will set yourself up for disappointment by comparing them too closely. BG3 is a new game using currently popular techniques and mechanics meant to introduce people to a faithful adaptation of D&D the pen and paper game. BG1/2 were also new games using then popular techniques and mechanics, but they instead were meant to introduce D&D to computer gamers. It's a subtle difference, but its there.

I fully expect that if you look at BG1/2 and BG3 as separate contained products, and not that BG3 is a direct sequel, then you might fully enjoy both experiences.

Last edited by qhristoff; 15/04/20 05:40 AM.