Good afternoon everyone. This is my first post here on this forum and the fifth in any forum. To put it bluntly I do not post in forums normally.
So why now? Because out of my extensive experience in playing primarily RPGs since the 80s I have a very close link to Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 and when I heard that Larian was given the green light to finally do Baldurs Gate 3 I was overjoyed but had mixed feelings. Let me elaborate why I am a BG nut and for me is by far the pinnacle of all RPGs to date. As with everything it is an opinion and I say it with the utmost respect to Larian who have made very good games in their own right but because I feel so strongly about this title I hope someone at Larian takes part of my opinion along with the coutless others already on here whilst they develop this great game..

My Experience: I have played most US and European RPGs (I stay clear of JRPGs nowadays because they are a style onto themselves).
On the NES Swords and Serpents
On the Commodore Amiga I finished the Eye of the Beholder series, Dungeon Master series, Ishar series, all the SSI Gold Box games and some obscure titles such as Black Crypt, Crystal Dragon, Obitus etc
On the second and third tier consoles things like Chrono Trigger, Shining Force series and Final Fantasy series
Finally on the PC I started with a continuation of the first person legacy RPGs with Lands of Lore series, Might and Magic series and Ultima series amongst a few others of that type.
Then came the famous Black Isle and Bioware Baldurs Gate isometric style that reminded me initially of the Gold box games - I was hooked to the point of not sleeping. This created the trend for me to do all their followup games Icewind dales Dragon Age games, Mass Effect games, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Lionheart, NWN and Planescape Torment.
I tried Diablo 1 and 2, Dungeon Siege series and notable slower paced clones like the Sacred series, Revenant etc but they were more action with little role playing so I did not finish them.
Finished all of Larians games Divine Divinity, Beyond D, D2, DOS, DOS2
Finished Beamdogs Enhanced remakes and Dragonspear
Finished Obsidians POE 1&2, Tyranny, KOTOR 2, Outer Worlds and Neverwinter Nights 2
Now I am finishing Kingmaker from Owlcat

Now that is out of the way I think I am qualified to make a suggestion.

For Larian to do Baldurs Gate 3, it is not just to represent Dungeons & Dragons lore and rules version "whatever", refer to the spawn of Bhaal, improve on graphics and slap on a new story with new wackey/quirky characters using the DOS engine with a Dragon Age look for a more cinematic experience for the newer generation and even add a day night cycle Oh yeah and the endless argument of TB or RTwP. This is all nice and dandy. The important more complicated question is what made Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 special to stand the test of time and still surpass all other games attempting to imitate them? Sure you can improve on effects and graphics, you can employ good voice actors, epic soundtrack, add special items, secrets, interesting encounters with combat and even create a good game world with good Forgotten Realms story. Several of the games I have finished listed above including Larians have done this already. But why are they not as good as Baldurs?

I think Pathfinder from Owlcat has come the closest to the Baldurs Gate feel to date albeit using different mechanics and adding Kingdom management but it still falls just short.

In my opinion from all I have played, the difference is the characters that accompany you, the characters you interact with and the antagonists of the story. They felt real unpredictable and symbiotic with the world around you. Dragon age, Mass Effect and KOTOR tried to do this in Bioware style, but it was too stereotypical, forced and "guided". With Baldurs Gate (specially number 2) the NPCs had their own agendas, interests and beliefs. There were multiple lines of coding in the background that took account for multiple conditions to be in place for characters to react differently to you and others. This meant that it was entirely possible to behave and roleplay your character and in so doing alienate or gain favour of others sometimes with the support of the companions many of which were romanceable but not easily so by some easy responses in the dialogue. It was done seamlessly and not forced like this SJW LGTB agenda that compels developers in most romance options to have a bisexual interest (its not the orientation but rather the way its implicated). Some characters would abandon you, betray you or come to blows with another party member, even compel you to take a decision you would not have done otherwise. In effect you feel a part of the roleplaying experience not just some nice fantasy story with good combat and effects.

This for me is the defining factor that made it a great game coupled and without detracting the other aforementioned items such as story, graphics, rulesets, voice acting, soundtrack and setting, all important but not defining.

It is what I feel a roleplay experience should be so you feel attached to the people in it and a part of that world, not just a fun flashy experience. Baldurs I feel like replaying not because of multiple endings due to a key decision but multiple in game outcomes that enhance each playthough. Part of that is the realism too, Larian games of late are less gritty than Divine DIvinity, Planescape, Baldurs Gate, POE, Kingmaker or Dragon age. They have quirky characters, funny interactions (overly so) and do not fit the realistic immersion the Baldurs Gate offered.

Herin those are my recommendations and point of view in the hope theat Swen and his team will put some of them into the mix with others made by fans to continue the Baldurs Gate enriching saga and not just be another D&D game living off the fame created by the first 2.

Thank you all for bothering to read this far, as I said I do not normally post things but had to express my opinion for what for me is the most important game ever made.

All the best

Last edited by ImperatorGeneral; 16/04/20 06:59 PM.