Originally Posted by Argyle
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor

Source???

I cited my source, 1E Dungeon Master's Guide. Here is some more information: Page 39, left side, under the title "Acquisition of Magic User Spells". That's enough for me, 6th level is a high level according to the great Gygax, who has played more hours of D&D than probably all of us put together. Does it make you wonder why would he make a statement like that? Could there be an underlying wisdom that Gygax gained from all those hours playing the game?

When I played ToB, I found the transition between level 20 and 21 to be much less consequential than, for example, between levels 5 and 6 (which we now know is a high level) in BG I. And the excitement between levels 27 and 28 was even less notable. I'd rather just start a new game, were it not for the story needing to conclude. I think Frodo Baggins ended up around 6th level or so when he returned to the Shire.

Again, can you mention where he mention that a mage capable of casting a single fireball per day is "crazy high level"? Mainly cuz he took Vance's novel as inspiration and magicians in Vance novels are FAR from a guy which can cast few magic missiles, then a fireball and be worthless for the rest of the day...

I posted the domain of dread sourcebook direct line, here a lv 16 necromancer is just accomplished...

Come on, lv 6 high level? A lv 6 ranger can't even hunt a bear...

And you din't liked leveling ToB, but the most popular BG is BG2, which is most mid level(and when I mean mid level, I mean lv 7~15). Nobody would write modules like throne of bloodstone nor rules for epic level if D&D was meant to be kobold slaying in sword coast...

Last edited by SorcererVictor; 03/09/20 08:00 PM.