Originally Posted by _Vic_
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Haha sorry but the skeuomorph and what I read on the wiki is a little bit too precise for me to understand all the subtleties.

I don't have a problem with that kind of UI BUT it's a very common UI you could find in any games, even in mmorpg. It doesn't translate any personnalities, you don't have any feelings about it. It's very intrusive on the screen if you compare to other games (even to XCom or the new Wasteland 3 to name another modern TB game) but it's functionnal and... that's all.

cry

So here is where I learned this term:
https://youtu.be/F0RW3upLoJI?t=870
On UI: 14:30, On Skeuomorphic UI: 15:20

In some ways old UI was far more invesive. But I felt to projected the feel of world better, then D:OS2 which is... abstract? Gamey?

That is an amazing video, thanks for posting. Monochromatic and skeumorphic was the artstyle the originals went for. Whereas Larian was "gamey" and colorful.

The original was more intrusive in the sense they took more of the screen (and I agree we do not need a U shaped UI), but was cleaner in the playable screen without the projected bars, percentages and lines.

To be fair a creature or player character of D&D5e would have more options than one of 2e and there are more mechanics in place in the game than in the old IE games so that would require a more complex UI than before.

That said, a skin that would be related to the style of previous games would be welcome, but an UI that gives the best functionality and the most info on screen should be the priority to make the combat more enjoyable.

It was not clear in the previous gameplays, but I hope that they UI (specially the spell UI) would let us get some kind of customization so you can group and move your spells. Maybe a fav tab with the spells/skills you use more often.

I really missed the "quick casting" UI used in games like NWN2 in other recent modern games like Stygia, Mordheim, Tyranny or Pathfinder. It´s a little clunky at high levels when you have a lot of spells/skills to choose from.

Agreed. But I don't think it is too hard to balance a functional UI with skeumorphic/monochromatic look.