I don't think there was needed any extra "forcing", though the writers & directors can answer that only. I won't reveal the reasons behind the changes, because I don't know and don't have the time to research it, but the style of both changed: they had more "things", larger, with more diversity (both race and gender), but the polish wasn't there anymore. There was no time, or to many cooks in the kitchen (infighting), or other reasons (game engine for sure, that's known for Inquisition DA), but in the end was just so mediocre that was barely worth playing it once, compared to previous higher standards.
The Force Awakens & The Last Jedi were a mess, too many going on at once without anything happening style, but the The Rise of Skywalker slightly improved.
That's just my view, so it's pointless, but there it is. They made money I guess, some parts like the music and many others were great, so wasn't exactly "garbage".

To not make it completely off topic: more is better only if
1. don't have to push something good - from the original vision - aside to fit in, making that feel half baked, and
2. won't dilute the quality of the initial parts, by having to fit it -- while time is running out