Originally Posted by CandrianIllborne
Originally Posted by Emrikol
As I think someone else stated, a more interesting path for the story would be for the companions you passed on to resurface later, as enemies or just npcs (ideally, to a greater extent than was done in DOS2). Without a story line that supports it, having all the characters at your beck and call makes them shallow. At least in DAI, for example, you are the “chosen one” or whatever (a grossly hackneyed premise by now), so I guess the idea of all the unused companions just hanging around home base isn’t completely ridiculous. So far in BG3, though,it seems the main player isn’t any more special than any of the other characters. So why would they hang around waiting for you to throw them a bone?

This is easily rectified by not having them wait in camp - like the original games, they could have them wait in predetermined areas outside of camp (hometowns, random taverns, areas in the wilderness, etc). I believe it was the EEs that introduced having them wait at a single common point for easy pick up if you so desired. It worked.

Camp, tavern, etc. All the same. Doesn't really answer why they would be waiting on the player's summons.