Originally Posted by PUR3ICE
Originally Posted by qhristoff
Having companions stick around has been something that RPGs have had as a staple since FF Tactics and Chrono Trigger. The End of Time in CT in particular is a prime example of how to let companions do their thing and you can take them whenever you want/need.

There is a camp mechanic already in the game. There is no reason to exclude companions.

Well ... there is a possible explanation: money and laziness.

Larian already has the DOS2 formula, and they are clearly reluctant to change it. Swen is adamant in this. It is cheaper in development to cut out companions, and cheaper in development not to try and change what they already have.

Divinity 3: Baldur's Gate.

What exactly makes it cheaper?
With a party size of 4, you still have all possible story interactions. Nothing of it is cut, you just cannot mix in/swap out 3% interaction with another character in midstory anymore for that one mission you choose him/her to be with you.
People in general must learn to make decisions, meaningfull decisions and desicions that come with a price are the best ones. Decisions for someone and against someone else, at the same time, are the most powerfull things we have to overcome. And i like that alot.

I agree with this. It's way too easy to "save scum" to get a desirable result, and I feel as though a lack of situations where you're forced to make a hard decision is essentially save scumming. I don't fully endorse *every* forced decision across the board when it comes to games, but something like choosing your team in a situation like this makes sense. I'm sure that there will be enough character development before the cut-off point to make a determination on who you'd like to take with you. And let's be honest, people are likely to do more than one playthrough, and those other characters will be an option to explore their stories.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.