Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
Originally Posted by sethmage

Originally Posted by Hawke

Losing party after act 1 was hated by everyone in DOS2 and no other RPG ever did it because it means the player loses the choice to build the right party for each encounter, meaning the game losing depth!

again, who are you to speak for everyone?

Since the original point is being raised again and I've already touched on the fact that I was fine with the character limitation, I have to chime in again to agree and say that there's no loss of depth.
In fact, that may provide more depth because it's pushing you to become more familiar with each character's skillsets depending on their builds since everything has a greater significance with 4 people than it does with 6, and in the case of the VERY popular Lone Wolf playthroughs with either 1 or 2 characters, the game gets even deeper because you can't just hang back and mash keys arbitrarily depending on what's not on cooldown because every single action matters.

Although generalizations are annoying and I don't generally nitpick them, generalizations are particularly awful when what's being stated is objectively false.

There is absolutely nothing objective about any of this. This is entirely subjective personal opinion. And your personal opinion is no better than or superior to my or anyone else's personal opinion. And in my opinion, which I have every right to voice here in the hope that Larian will hear me given that this issue badly hurts my game experience, losing all the out-of-party companions after Act 1 is horrible game design.

And I think that obligating people into making hard decisions, especially in a genre that's been watered down by allowing people to do everything possible in a single playthrough, is fantastic game design. Especially in a medium like this where someone can play through the game an infinite amount of times and have a different experience each time. I believe that the way that D:OS2 handled it was ingenious.

Those people that you didn't take along didn't just disappear, they took an alternate route to attain power and became your direct competitors, and you still have a few conversations with them once you've moved on from having them in your party. So it's not like Larian just said "You know what would be cool? Let's limit player parties because that's easier to design around." A lot of developers adhere to that philosophy, so I'm grateful that they although they forced a decision, we still got to interact with those characters in a meaningful way. If they had made it possible to take every single origin character with you, that entire dynamic would have gone out the window just to appease a minority fanbase need for a fully-stacked, one-time experience. I'm glad that we didn't end up with that.

These forums are the first place I've seen where people are acting as though they're getting a limited time with the game and only buying one playthrough worth of content and just need to have one perfect playthrough or the entire thing is a wash.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.