Originally Posted by Martij7au

I hear they put mostly evil companions in the game at first to get more people to playtest the evil route, since many people play good when given that as a choice. Don't know if that's been confirmed, but might explain why only evil(ish) companions are available at the beginning of EA.

Yes, Swen said as much in one of the interviews.

Regardless, I can understand part of the OP's complaints. I get that githyanki think they are the best thing that ever happened to the world in general, and everyone else isn't fit to shine their boots, but sheesh, did they go over the top with Lae'zel. I have absolutely no incentive to drag her around and listen to her diatribes (I know, she promised we'd go find a cure, but I absolutely don't trust her to deliver).

Likewise, Astarion's mannerisms remind me of Frank'N'Further from the Rocky Horror show, which prevents me from taking him the least bit seriously. This is mostly a voice acting issue, not so much a writing one, but I still hope the writers will tone down those personalities a bit. In DOS2 Ifan got a complete makeover between EA and the final release (he was a whiny, drug-addled washout in the first iteration), so it may just happen.