Originally Posted by porrage
However I bought this game because it's Baldur's Gate 3, and it's supposed to be based off the 5e D&D system. This doesn't feel like dungeons and dragons at all. It doesn't feel like 5e at all. Why does my Firebolt leave fire on the ground and deal 1d6 damage instead of being a far ranged attack that deals moderate single target damage? Why is Disengage lumped in with jump and takes a bonus action instead of an Action? (there's a reason it takes an Action and not a Bonus Action in the table top). Why on Earth is "dip" a thing? I put my longbow into a fire, it gets set on fire, and then it deals bonus fire damage. Uhhh what? (note: these things wouldn't be out of place in DOS3, but I'm supposed to be playing Baldur's Gate 3)

I think that the change about disengage being a bonus action has been made to make the combat more interesting. It is obvious for a tabletop player that in order to disengage as a bonus action, you have to be a rogue, but it is not obvious to a casual player who might think "hey, why Astarion can jump/disengage as a bonus and my Heavy Armor Warrior cannot?" It's obvious for 5e players and DM's, but not for a random player who could feel like he wasted time by playing a class that cant jump and attack in the same round.

The firebolt leaving the train on surface is a bummer to me as well, like, i hoped so much that this game won't be DoS III, but with all the flammable/oil/acid barrels set in random-ass places, it sure does feel like another DoS game. I'm glad that they're calculating hit chance the movement and so on in accord with 5e rules, but i yet have to see a 5e rulebook that has encounters set in Underdark... with Oil barrels all around. It just doesnt make any sense. I understand the yearning for an interactive surrounding to use in battle, but in DnD 5e it means tables that you can flip to get some cover, and not 8 flammable moonshine barrels in 12 by 12 feet baker's storage. It would be interesting as heck if the enemies would make use of that materials as well, but they just ignore it, whereas i can totally see a vicious DM having the enemy in a tabletob game just cast a firebolt into a random-ass barrel of oil that the players decided to surround.

The pathfinding for the AI is also so horrid as for now. In DoS games if one of the characters spotted a trap, he pointed it out so the others would just trail around it. Here? "Nah, imma totally walk on that pressure plate with spikes coming out of it, what is the worst thing that can happen". I know that this is an early access game, but, if they work on the same engine as DoS, they could at least copy some of the AI settings to spare themselfes some time.

Last edited by Armageddonis; 08/10/20 12:49 PM. Reason: missed a thing