Originally Posted by deserk

And also as a lifelong FR fan, I've never heard of "Seldarine Drow". What is that? Are they supposed to represent the redeemed Dark Elves? Why not just call them that instead?

Not 100% on this as I think this is referencing some stuff that took place during the dark ages of 4E.

If I remember the Drow's current appearance (black skin, pale eyes and white hair) is a result of some kind of magical effect from having dwelt in the underdark for so long. During 4E, Eilistraee's chosen Qilue Valthorn (spelling?) cast a spell that was intended to sever the connection between the drow in the underdark who didn't worship Lolth and whatever anthropomorphic force had caused this (not really clear on what that is), somehow the spell went wrong/was too powerful and it effected every drow not sworn to Lolth (including those who lived on the surface such as Eilistraee's worshippers) and transformed them back into the original subrace off elves who had followed Lolth when the Seldarine pantheon split (think they were just called ''Dark Elves").

Something happened later (not sure what but there doesn't seem to be any details in the various wiki's on this) that turned these Dark Elves back into Drow just in time for 5E to come around. As such (and I am guessing here) I would assume that Seldarine drow is the name used here for the former Dark Elves, turned Drow, turned Dark Elves, turned Drow...

To be honest I'm not sure why we need two subraces here, as far as I can tell they are essentially identical and the only difference is fluff (worshipping the Seldarine or the Dark Seldarine). I can see how it might be useful to differentiate this (as there might be different reactions on the part of NPCs to worshippers of Lolth or Vhaeraun to those worshipping Eilistraee), but I would have thought this easier to implement via a "Choose your God" selection page during character creation rather than two separate races as similarly a Human worshipper of Torm would gett different reactions to one who worships Cyric.