Originally Posted by porrage

See I don't mind "some" of the surfaces remaining. I think there's definitely a place for a player to be like "I want to cast freezing ray on the water to freeze it." Those scenarios definitely exist when I'm DMing a game of 5e, and the surface interaction system from DOS2 could make those scenarios a bit more fun. But the problem is that everything seems to make a surface, casting single target spells make a surface at the person's feet regardless (dumb), and they invented random surfaces that don't even exist in 5e (acid splash anyone?).

holy hell yeah, acid splash.
best cantrip in the game, at the moment. no matter if you "hit" or not, they get a pretty nifty debuff, and then the fighter or rogue can make confetti out of them.
there is so much hilariously broken stuff, that comes just from changing 5e rules. and those were deliberate design choices, that don't have anything to do with limitiations of video games.
the good thing is, that 80% of these changes to the rule set can be changed back in about a week or so, because they have a lot to do, with removing effects of spells or changing the cost from bonus action to action. the other 20% could take a bit more, depending on how everything is implemented.
so it isn't hard, to go closer to the 5e ruleset and since we are in early access, it is definitly in the realm of possibility, that they make that change.
and if larian reads the overwhelming majority of posts in this subforum, i think they will do exactly that. because they are a development studio with a heart. smile