I really wanted to love the combat, being a Larian fan (D:OS 2 is my all time favorite game). But indeed, it was hard not to notice how much less the choices I made mattered when it was my combat turn. The limited spell slots wear out quickly (also I'm the gamer archetype who doesn't like to rely much on consumable / limited resources) and then it's cantrip / basic attack time. Unfortunately, the slow progression highlighted the reduced tactical options even more.

On "combat being a slog". Currently, needlessly using resources that require resting are discouraged by the IRL flow disruption of camping / loading screens. (Don't get me wrong, I love the option to reflect and chat with companions. But that's independent of what makes combat fun.) Often my thoughts were: "Do I really need to use that level 2 spell? Nah, just spend 2-3 more rounds of cantrips, then eat a zuccini-stuffed pighead with 7 potatoes after combat." Essentially, I feel rewarded for not playing with 70% of the goodies out there, ie for using repetitive / turtle / sneaking* exploit tactics.

On the note of not being a DnD player. I'm not sure it's merely an expectation management thing (ie. I know DnD and therefore I "get the system"). Most CRPG gamers (I think) pick up systems quickly. It's about how enjoyable the combat can be, once you are familiar with how everything works. (Neverwinter Nights I and II also didn't offer the most fun combat in the first few levels.)

What I hope to see more of:
- faster progression, extended level cap -> so that builds can become more diverse from their starting point
- more active skills / spells that change the way the game is played (as opposed to damage, but with a different color) eg. the perk that adds push to Eldritch Blast
- some ways to get around limited long rest slots (potentially tied to feats)
-- refill one slot if kills an enemy
-- chance for cantrip to refill slot on hit + successful ability check
-- once per combat use a spell without expending slot
- AI tactics to counter my pesky "rooftop - hit - move - hide - rinse - repeat tactics"
- +1: a sneak toggle button for the entire party

That said, I had fun climbing most rooftops and blasting the mobs off ledges for a hefty damage boost. smile

* Alpha-striking via sneaking and disappearing to the shadows could become AWESOME ^_^ or a cheesy exploit, well mannered gamers are not stooping down to. It depends on how hard it is to pull it off: ie how the AI reacts, investigates, makes my life hard after their member is suddenly replaced by a pile of ash. Dark is great for hiding... It's also great to see quite well where that fireball just came from.

Last edited by Riovir; 11/10/20 01:53 PM.