Originally Posted by Warlocke
Reminds me of a character I rolled back in middle school. We were using an unofficial D&D supplement that used mana for wizard spells. Rolled a crap wizard, and it wasn’t until we were an hour in that I realized I didn’t have enough mana to cast any spells. The DM asked if I wanted to reroll and I said no, I’d go with it. In the first fight against a kobold I fumbled and broke my quarterstaff. I did kill the bigger though. My only kill of that session.

I enjoyed myself, but that was the one and only time I played that character. 😂

I know some people actively enjoy playing crap characters (because there is no pressure to succeed?), but I usually like to have something that makes my character important or unusual. A high stat is not essential, but if I am a wizard I don't want another wizard in the party who is better than me in all areas. Unless I deliberately play a rubbish wizard, of course.

Our first session was terrible because we had no idea of the rules and the GM had little idea of how to run a game. We encountered a Leucrotta (we were 1st level and just starting out) and, because we had a character who was the fighter, the rest of us stood back and watched him fight. I did try to help at one point, but with only 1hp I decided to throw my mace at the Leucrotta. I missed and hit the fighter, who was not best pleased.

No; random rolling on 3d6 offers no appeal to me now. I like to design characters rather than generate them.