Originally Posted by clavis
Originally Posted by Vezin117
Originally Posted by clavis

There are so many modules out for D&D 5e that do exactly what you are saying a game could not accomplish. My current group is playing Descent Into Avernus right now. That is a premade D&D game that the DM doesn't really have to put as much effort into. All of the things you mentioned are basically in the module already. Seems like a cop out response to justify not implementing 5e rules right away and adjust them over the next year to make it more enjoyable.

unsure which post your quoting. Most of my posts though are focused on the differences between being able to do things on the fly as a DM with group in front of them, versus tweaking things from a video game developers stand point. The game developers can't adjust on the fly, and can't get direct feedback

never played Descent into Avernus as of yet, but Descent was built for pnp. and some of it would not carry over to video games, specially to players that have never played 5e before. there would have to be adjustments made to aid them, while still balancing game for hardcore, or just 5e players in general.

I believe he's referring to programs like Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds that I mentioned earlier. Basically, these programs have all the mechanics (numbers) for D&D already. You just download and install the adventure and input the character sheets, and the program handles all the dice rolls, attacks, damages, skill checks, saving throws, spell effects, monster stats, etc. And even displays everything on a hexagonal map, tracking movement, sight lines, distances, character and enemy placements, cover, elevation, fog of war, etc. So the DM just narrates the adventure, and the players just decide their actions, etc. Essentially, it's almost like re-creating a PC game of D&D where everyone communicates through mics, usually via Discord, and use the program to play the adventure. Suggesting that the core mechanics of 5e D&D are already proven to work well in a PC game. Not saying these two programs are identical to a PC game, there's still a DM. But everything is pre-loaded before the session starts, and it's amazing how infrequently the DM actually has to deviate from the core adventure, and just lets the adventure play itself.

Last edited by ReaLMoisan; 14/10/20 04:28 AM.