Originally Posted by Zress
Originally Posted by Pupito
Originally Posted by Libertine
D&D has mutated and changed a great deal over the years, originally there were only three classes: fighters, magic users, and clerics. Is any game with other classes therefore not D&D? Did you know that in one edition being an elf was your character class? BG3 is just as much D&D as any other edition or interpretation that has come before. At some point we will see a new version of D&D come along and silly children will jump up and down and stamp their feet and tell everyone that version is the only proper version of the game.

The problem here isn't that they changed so many of the rules per se, it's that they changed them badly. Tweaking the rules to make it fit a video game depiction is to be expected, and tweaking other things to make them play better is welcomed. But they did it so badly that it feels like they more or less just tried reskinning their previous game, which is not what was promised. We were promised an adaption of D&D 5e rules as faithfully as possible, and instead they flipped them on their head and basically said "sike, we're playing Divinity now bitches!". A few touches of the Divinity series were obviously expected, but I didn't buy this game expecting a Divinity game with a few touches of D&D in it because that's not what was marketed and sold to me.

Basically this game is starting to feel more and more like a bait and switch.

Playing the game feels like they are not entirely sure what to do with the rules. It feels like a bad DOS, like they had to compromise on some D&D things but refused to change their design philosophy when it comes to encounters and surfaces and now we have this barely working amalgamation of rules and ideas. I have around 25 hours in the game, and each time I play I want to ether just play DOS or the old BGs.

So why didn't you wait for some reviews before diving straight into an Early Access game? You were forewarned by the Game Producer himself, right?

.i.