Originally Posted by Tuco

This control based on the position of a single character with all companions defaulting on auto-follow is genuinely cumbersome when you compare it to pretty much any other RPG in the same subgenre: the old BG games, Torment, Icewind Dale, Temple of Elemental Evil, Pillars of Eternity, Pathfinder, etc., where you simply cliclck and drag to select multiple characters, keep them in a formation you can rotate dragging the cursor and you can quickly send each one of them in different direction with ONE click.

In general, +1.
However, there are some things to say about some of the other points.

There are several problems with the Larian solution:

- it's slower to use properly when precision is required.

True. And honestly, this is probably my biggest gripe with the whole thing. I want to move one character on their own? It takes a minimum of 3 actions to do so. Right click, ungroup, select, move. Maybe I could bind some shortcut keys to do it, dunno, haven't really investigated that far, but it's really annoying to have to ungroup everyone, all the time, right click, ungroup, right click, ungroup, right click, ungroup, and then start moving. And then the reverse when combat is over and I just want to move them as a group again. This whole system would be made a lot less cumbersome if there was simply a group all / ungroup all toggle button. Perhaps there is? I'll have to look and see if I can find one. Even then, I still think that would be more convoluted than the intuitive point and click of the way the previous BG games worked.

- it's less accurate.

Perhaps, I'm not sure this is true though. I'm inclined to say that technically it's not. If you ungroup all of your party members, select the one you want, and then only move that party member, it's just as precise as the other systems. Of course, if you're used to the normal way of doing things, you're going to spend a lot of time trying to do things the old way, and that will MAKE you inaccurate, because your inputs will be errors. Not exactly a problem with the system itself, though.

- it's a mess that turns into a comedic skit with idiots running randomly anywhere in any situation where you need to give everyone QUICK instructions on where to position.

This is definitely false. You never really need to give anyone quick instructions on where to position, it's a turn based game. Take as long as you want. However, of course, the fact of it being turn based and not time critical definitely isn't a good excuse for having a clunky interface.

- that mess can be deadly when there are combat triggers and/or traps around.

True. But again, not really because the system itself is inaccurate, but rather because a lot of my inputs are errors, because I'm used to doing things a different way. It would still be nice to have a more intuitive interface, of course.