One possible issue is that the Companions all auto scale on pickup so you get that free XP just for recruiting or delaying recruitment. BG1 and 2 worked the same way, but it definitely gets you to a lvl 4 cap sooner.

And again, with a party of just 4 members its obviously going to scale up much faster to lvl 4. That point should probably have been made in the party size thread too if it hasn't already.

I enjoy the first 3 levels of character progression, but 5e is all like 'here take an adderall, hurry up!' Its cool, I get it. I like new spells and unlocks as much as the rest. But the scale and length of a session in a computer game is a little different than PnP. Sans cutscenes you can get to lvl3 in what feels like 30 minutes of actual play.

I think the level progression here is a little fast for my tastes. It would be nice to see other types of progression substituted for pure XP, since rewards are always at the DMs discretion. Gear/Aesthetics can be equally effective at giving the party a sense of accomplishment. But here everyone starts out looking pretty cool and there aren't a whole lot of money sinks for stuff like darts and arrows, or a new pair of comfortable shoes

Last edited by Black_Elk; 17/10/20 11:34 AM.