Originally Posted by iril
Curious, but why don't they just use the 5e rules? The camp is nice and all, for when you are in the wild. But when in a dungeon, or another location that is story wise, or battle wise of the grid what sense does it make if you can click the long rest and end up at your camp?

If they do leave it like that we need some teleportation spell, or another gimmick to make it thematically sound.

I for one would love to see it more like a table top session. You can rest anywhere, long or short, but you run the risk of an encounter. If you long rest in a dungeon, the chances of either being attacked, or afterwards being ambushed by half the dungeon should be possible. If you are outside, have a dynamic camp ready. Why does it have to be the exact same location? As if they would head back to the same spot, every time no matter where. It makes the world small.

It also makes clerics feel a lot less useful. Instead you can just bring another mage and blast away. Just heal after for spell slots and health.

The problem with "long rest could result in an encounter" is that you could end up with a save file that is stuck in a lose/lose situation. You could be out of resources, out of health, out of spell slots, and need to rest, and then just be stuck save scumming for a long rest without an encounter.

I 100% agree though! Teleporting to camp, especially without a story explanation for how (if it was some brain tadpole power, sure, maybe, whatever, but at least hang a lantern on it, I rested inside the temple when the goblins were hostile outside, there was no walking out of there).