I see this complaint a lot but I've yet to hear a good explanation for why it's actually a bad idea beyond "5e handles it this way instead". There's nothing special about hp, ac, and vancian spellcasting that gets ruined by BG3's implentation of the rules. Numbers can be tuned to account for the added functionalities of some spells and the rest is just adjusting available resources. It's bizarre that "It's not the same as it is in 5e" is a reply to "I find it fun".

Well, since this game supposed to be 5e D&D game, if there's no great fun, or some serious limitation, it should take 5e rules.

It was funny in DOS 1, 2 with ground effects, and it makes sense flammable things can be burned, water can be frozen in table top game. So I don't complain there's some ground effect, not like Larian should remove it entirely. And I hope they don't remove it entirely. Now Let's see DOS 1 ,2 you get many action points, do multiple spells and skills on same time(I can't remember DOS1 perfectly, DOS 2 you get 4AP normally, Lone wolf get some more with 2 characters, glass cannon gives 6AP too, tea and chapter 2 stuff gives +2AP with spending some resources. Which makes easier to get out, and make ground effects, even then there was cool time to spells and skills, and grenades isn't powerful enough compared to spells. You can counter ice floor with nailed shoes easily, there's some kind of blink skill if you go for melee. (Warfare(phoenix dive, and some skill), and Scoundrel(jump, and i can't remember but +2AP skill for some turn)) And there was physical/magical armor to prevent CC and burning effect. DOS1 doesn't have it, it has saving throw (only CC if I remember correctly)

Let's see Baldur's gate 3, there's one action for every character, and enemies surpasses your number normally. Every encounter, almost half of them throw ground effects. If your wizard deal it safely, you must expend your spell slot, and action, and you should prepare non damage spell which takes prepared spell slots too. If you can't change prepared spell before long rest(it will be sometime after I guess?), So it's extreme waste, if you do this, there's more goblins than your party members to re-apply ground effects. Unlike DOS2 it's not easy to deal with it. But this game has almost same amount of ground effects of DOS2.

Melees doesn't have gap-closer like DOS2 if they don't have magical items, and there's almost every time limitation of short rest or something. So they jump every time to avoid ground effect which waste your bonus action every time. And my personal opinion, it's suck to jump every turn, it feels like melees being grasshopper or bunny. Spellcasters use bonus action more useful than melees normally, jumping around makes more serious waste to them.

Shove things is an attack. Since the best way to deal some damages to enemies now is shoving them off the cliff. Normally action is for dealing damage, and major CC, bonus action is for buff and utils in DND 5e. Throw was bonus action before early access, but Larian changed it because bonus action is for utility not dealing damage. And DND 5e there's safety that shove only pushes them 5.ft, so if you place your characters well, there's no super dangerous situation to be shoved til death unless multiple enemies try to shove only one creature til death (at least there will be multiple strength contest)

BG3 they push almost 20ft with high strength, and I can't be sure it uses strength contest, or melee attack accuracy. And there's bunch of thing push them with area effect. It means BG3 you can easily instantly die. And there's no unconscious if there's no ground, instant death, which is suck, and bodies teleport back to camp, it's so silly. and there's bug that Gale's body teleport to Camp and kill all the other party members with necrotic aura. If place has too much cliff, you die so easily it becomes initiative, saving throw rock scissor paper game. It feels almost unfair, and non-playable.

This is the spoiler situation that I felt unfairness, I killed these encounter somehow, but I had no fun with it.

Minos in underdark, if you encounter them on the cliff, with bug(movement doesn't equals jump distance) Minos come from really long distance, and push parties off the cliff easily.

This is the most bummer part of shove. If released game will have this same encounter and same mechanic, I'll be very disappointed.
Duergars on the fairing boat, The last fight of early access. Boat fight! They pushes my party with all their effort, position doesn't matter in this encounter, bomb, pushing arrows, spells (these 3 are AOE push), their strength(shove distance), and their AI manage to push parties off the boat with just one push (which is instant death, there's no swimming back unlike good DND situation) Only saving throw and invisibility help this encounter in my case, which was no fun, no tactics, just luck. Game doesn't supposed to be this, I dare to say.

This is the explanation why too much ground effect is bad, and shove is too op in my opinion.

Sorry for my bad English.

Last edited by Bugginity; 18/10/20 01:55 PM.