Originally Posted by Argonaut
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in the ring.

I think turn-based combat was a mistake for many reasons but the main one is because it is contradictory to the nature of video games and D&D. D&D is first and foremost about creating a simulation of a faux reality we cannot access in any other way than our imagination and theater of the mind. Video games are proto-simulations by their very nature. Turn based combat is like a glitch in the matrix, it's a crack in the simulation. This was acceptable and understandable in the past due to technical limitations and the industry not pulling the kind of audience or money that it is today but that is no longer the case. I'm not saying RTwP is perfect but it is definitely a step up from turn based combat in this regard. I could say more on this subject but I don't want to offend anyone or taint my sentiment with bias so I'll leave it at that.

So you're saying the Fire Emblem series, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, and the entire Disgaea series are against the nature of video games? Or past their time?

I feel RTwP is past it's time, myself. It was a hybrid system to try taking a turn-based ruleset and making it realtime. It did what it set out to do, but only barely. And combat in RTwP is boring for me because I just end up either
1) Pausing every 6 seconds to re-issue orders. Making it turn-based anyways.
2) Swarm the enemy with melee classes in order to avoid pausing too much. Which is then minimal effort/input from me and boring.