Originally Posted by Argonaut
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna

The point that you are missing as so are others is that at the end of the day, this is Larian's story. They are the Dungeon Master and we, the players, choose what to do in that story, per what the DM (Larian) decides what we are allowed to do. If I'm the DM, I'm the one telling the players were the go, who they fight and who they are allowed to kill. It's up to the players to choose what they want to do based on the options I give them. You can choose to play the story or walk away. It seems like hardcore DnD gamers are getting too wrapped up in the lore and the rules and are turning to nitpicking and dictating to Larian how to make a DnD game. When the core of DnD is all about storytelling, and Larian is the storyteller.

Hi, I have been playing since AD&D and have been a perma GM for two decades. While I am not really invested in the discussion I feel the need to point out that this is an extremely spicy take. What you described is known as railroading in the pen and paper community and is seen under a very poor light unanimously. You are the storyteller but you are telling the players story. Their choices matter just as much if not more than yours and the only time it is considered okay to tell a player what they can and cannot do is when there is a mechanical reason for it or to prevent in group conflict with obvious incendiary choices(such as PvP). I'm not disagreeing with you per se but please don't give the impression that this is the norm or standard in the tabletop community.

Not in video game. You may have some liberty when you're playing Baldurs gate1, but its still the story of a Bhaalspawn, you're still gorion ward, and you're still going to kill Sarevok at the end, no matter what. Baldur's gate3 is definitely Larian story before anything else, just like Baldurs gate 2 was Obsidian and black isle story. You may interract within the border defined by them, with the degree of liberty than they decide, and that's that.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt