Originally Posted by Sadurian
You use of a lot of 'you cannot'. This may be the case in game that you are running, but you should understand that not everyone thinks the same as you do.

Originally Posted by Argonaut
The assumption of the starting section is that the character starts at Level 1. Only later does the game talk about starting at higher levels. No, it does not explicitly state that the piece on choosing a background is only to be used for characters of a particular starting level, but then it doesn't need to. It is pretty obvious that the advice is there for starting players and starting characters, and the default assumption is starting at Level 1.

Please point me to the section in the PHB where this is stated, otherwise it is just your opinion. This is the 5th edition of a system that has existed for decades, it should not be so difficult to find evidence if this is the case

Seriously? You want absolute proof that the introductory section of the book where it guides you through creating you first character, explaining what a character sheet is and what the various heading are, is aimed at starting players? Or that the default assumption is that they start at level 1? You have gone beyond any kind of reasoned argument here.

No, there is not large-type heading stating that Chapter 1 of the Player's Basic Rules is designed to help new players create a character. There is, however, a very strong suggestion backed up by the language used, the way that everything is carefully explained, the fact that it is introducing readers to the game, and the fact that it is standard practice. Yes, D&D5e is the 5th edition. I have played all the others and all the other editions had similar introductory chapters which spoon-fed you through character creation. All were aimed at new players. All assumed starting a character at Level 1 for new players.

Then please provide the evidence, otherwise it is nothing more than your opinion and a moot point. You think the fifth edition of a system that has existed for longer than you have been alive is being written with the automatic assumption that everyone is going to play the same way? That everyone is going to start at level one? Despite decades of community feedback proving otherwise? Despite their being caveats all over the PHB that affirm that you may choose to do things your own way and no one campaign starts or plays out the same?

Provide. Evidence. Anything, something to support this opinion that you are presenting as fact.

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Starting at level 1 is not even a common practice in tabletop DnD and 5 minutes with google will provide you with countless discussions on the subject.
Here are a few examples.
https://www.dungeonsolvers.com/2019/08/19/what-level-should-you-start-your-dd-5e-campaign-at/
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/6a4mn4/whats_level_should_i_start_my_players_at/

Yeah, that's not going to cut the mustard.

Discussions on optionally starting campaigns at higher level do not mean either that starting at Level 1 is not common practice, nor that the Introductory chapter of the Player's Guide is not aimed at starting players. I have seen plenty of discussion about doing away with alignment, that doesn't mean that Alignment-less games are common or that the basic rules don't assume that Alignment is used.

You have not provided this evidence. This means it is your opinion. This means other peoples opinions are just as good as yours wherever you like it or not. I have at provided supporting evidence for my opinion, would you like to do so? I provided you with two source of people proclaiming that that game does not always start at level one and that their preference is to not start it at level one which means that factuall and statistically there is proof that games do not commonly start at level one. Please provide evidence to support your conclusion.

D&D 5e PHB Pg4 "Introduction"
"Unlike a game of make believe, D&D gives structure to the stories, a way of giving consequence to the adventurers actions."
"This increase in power is reflected by an adventurers level"
D&D 5e PHB Pg6 "Adventures"
"Each character brings particular capabilities to the adventure in the form of ability scores and skills, class features, racial traits, equipment and magic items."
D&D 5e PHB Pg8 "Step-by-step characters"
"Your character is a combination of game statistics, roleplaying hooks, and your imagination."
D&D 5e PHB Pg 8 "2. Choose a Class"
"Typically, a character starts at 1st level and advances in level by adventuring and gaining experience points(XP). A 1st level character is inexperienced in the adventuring world, althought he or she might have been a soldier of pirate and done dangerous things before. Starting off at 1st level marks your characters entry into the adventuring life. If you're already familiar with the game, or if you are joining an existing D&D campaign, your GM might decide to have you begin at a higher level, on the assumption that your character has already survived a few harrowing adventures"
D&D 5e PHB Pg12 "Tiers of play"
"In the first tier(level 1-4), characters are effectively apprentice adventurers. They are learning the features that define them as members of particular classes, including the major choices that flavor their class."
"In the third tier(level 11-16), characters have reached a level of power that sets them high above the orginary populace and makes them special even among adventurers"

I can go on if you are not yet convinced.

Last edited by Argonaut; 19/10/20 02:45 PM.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.