Originally Posted by KingTiki
Originally Posted by Argonaut

While I agree with your sentiment and find your reasoning to be sound the last part caught my eye. Homogenization should not be a goal and it is a problem in 5e and generally there should be clear cut reasons as to why one source is superior to another in certain regards. While I don't think perfect balance is ideal I would prefer that the best choices are tied to classes and character while consumables can offer you alternatives not otherwise available to your selected party or have niche benefits.

I dont really feel that classes are not distinct enough. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. But they are balanced in a way which is not over all favoring one playstyle or class over all the others. Perfect balance is pretty much not possible, but good balance with some specialties and fun party interactions is a great thing. What are the problems you see with 5e? I only have 5e and some Pathfinder experience.

I don't think 5e is too bad and my main gripe with it is that the specializations are not effective enough. For example battle master should have been focused on giving fighters battlefield control rather than being optimal for damage. Champion should give you more social options etc.

In the case of this game thought take surface effects for example. They can be caused by consumables and spells and abilities but this homogenization makes them feel samey and puts consumables on a much closer tier to spells and abilities which is never a good thing. I wouldn't have even batted an eye if they added surface effects sparingly in order to boost some otherwise underpowered abilities or racial traits that lack an oomph to them. In terms of the classes take the warlock class. They are capable of being a party face while performing exceedingly well in combat as well as having options for utility and battlefield control. Compare them to every other class in the game. This is a problem that exists in 5e as well mind you. I'd like to go on more about this but due to it being EA there is too much missing and too much underdeveloped to really be sure yet.

Last edited by Argonaut; 19/10/20 04:23 PM.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.