I'll try my best to avoid spoilers in the thread, but be warned you may very well come across a few.

So I recently managed to finish this quest, which had been resisting me up until now. And I got to say it ends up feeling... underwhelming.

Disclaimer: it's an early access and the devs have VERY POSSIBLY kept some things under wraps to retain some of the please of starting a new game even for early access dwellers. There it's hard to say whether everything is implemented as of yet.

That being said, this is supposed to be a POWERFUL magical artefact... But as you're rolling the dice at the end oif the quest, the descriptions you're given and the actual effects in game simply don't match, and this is something I want to touch on that's common to almost every RPG game with a leveling system: how to deal with a world that doesn't care what level you are?

Cause this is a bit of ludonarrative dissonance. This book should be too difficult to handle for a level 3/4 character, and according to the in-game text, it is. But once the quest is completed, nothing happens. No new conversation with any companion, no in-game effect appart from something that is easily obtainable through various other means... So how should a game handle its players coming across something that they don't have the level to handle? It seems to me that narratively, it should be implied there's a way to deal with it, exactly like the tadpole in our head. Because it is exactly the same situation.

Maybe there are more consequences to this quest that we don't get to see now and will occur as we level up and evolve in the larger world. Maybe the devs have already planned this. I hope they have.