Originally Posted by Tzelanit
I actually like the way that it's set up. I don't need some well-detailed backstory set in stone.
I typically come up with a concept at character creation without deep-diving into it so that I have some direction and purpose for each playthrough.
I love the idea of being the "everyman" person. We're not the only special snowflakes with tadpoles. We just happened to run into some others who have interesting stories.
I like to think that I'm not "the chosen one" as much as I am just a person trying to do their best in extraordinary circumstances.
I also like to think that there are other small bands of people coming together to try to survive, just like my party is, that we never even come across.
Because of this, it feels more personal to me. It's my story and my adventure, and even if it's not entirely unique, it's unique to me and that's what matters.

I think in general most are on board with what you are saying regarding customs. That however is not I feel the crux of the “issue”.

Of course Larian can’t provide infinite options to cater for our imaginative backstories, nor should they even try, nor do any of us need to start off as being “the one”.

However I believe the consensus is that the Origin characters all have a rather overt backstory and by comparison we have virtually zero. We want to add a few tags (however that may be handled, dialogue, simply in character creation, etc...) and have the world be interested in us or reference us at given moments.

The one time anyone asked it was Shadowheart after the Tiefling party, she asks me about my past and I say something about being from Baldur’s Gate, when I could have sworn my Ranger was either Hermit or something of the ilk. Now I could be wrong, maybe I had selected a past which suggests BG, the fact remains it’s one line, in the whole game up to that point.

In friendly or even intimate moments, interest or jokes regarding heritage, age etc... can levitate the moment and add depth. So even little things like giving us place of birth, age, religion etc can all give the game handy tags for discourse about us. I mean I like being a good listener, but sheesh! ;-)

Maybe the game can even tag if you’ve selected non standard colorings for hair or skin and have NPC’s comment on it with interest or in disgust. Certainly if you’re Drow you get the odd comment I’ve noticed, though my big standard white half elf ranger doesn’t even get a comment from the druids!

But if you really want to give something to customs then maybe allow for a form of secret, an event from your past that could catch up with you. Doesn’t have to be major, but scorned lover stalking you, false murder charge hanging over you? Might be too much, but hey, it’s fun to share some thoughts amongst ourselves right?