Originally Posted by Vhaldez
My point is that this vision of power is not compelling to the player as they are uniquely aware that the Absolute is an Illithid ploy while none of her forces seem to know about this. Of course the player character has no metagaming analysis of outcomes that have canonically not happened yet, but you know in-universe about the tadpole right from the start. The tadpole is not a gift, it was forced into your brain by a big scary squid monster. Minthara and Gut do not acknowledge this and it seems they were the ones who sent Eodwin out to come kill you. If they are unable to put two and two together to conclude that they too are being duped and the player's companions all can (Lae'Zel immediatly points out that the Absolute is a Gaihkh deception) who in their right mind would go "nay, it is a gift!"?

That is actualy good question ...

Let me answer that with another question ...
In this same world, cambions are quite known thing and every single person in camp (except Gale) seems to be quite sure about that dealing with Raphael is bad idea ... VERY(!) bad idea ... yet, your character is allowed to concider it and maybe in some future even accept it, bcs s/he can, same as Gale, think that s/he can outsmart him and came out as winner, instead of whiner. smile

Or other example ...
In this same world Vampires are concidered as monsters, and i bet everyone in Faerun will kill Astarion in the second he reveals what he is ...
Yet, your character is allowed to keep him close, since his power can prove usefull. smile

Or other example ...
Maybe not as much as in other cases, but i still bet that Necromancy is in this world concidered as something ... unpleasand, if not exactly evil ... yet your character can choose to become necromancer. smile

And to finaly answer your question ...
Yes, there is quite common knowledge that tadpoles (and mind flayers) are usualy bad sign ... and yes, everyone in your camp (again except one, Astarion in this case) concider keeping it the worst idea ever ... yet, you are allowed to question that decision ... and decide for yourself.
Are you asking why? That is up for you to decide, but that option is there ... it even will gives you some benefits, but outcome is yet unknown ... it may give player ultimate power, aswell as it may give him ultimate death, or fate ultimately worst than that. laugh
And same as with that mindflayer in nautiloid wreckage, that you can either kill imediatly, or start conversation, and risk death ... its just up to you, there is that option and it dont really matter why you choose it, important thing is that you have that option ... maybe your character is sadistic homicidal maniac, even that can be reason. laugh

I think that right now is quite too soon to presume that Absolute is Illithid ploy ...
Yes, Lae'zel is quite sure about it, yet she seem (at last to me) to be person that see Illithid scheeme even behind the fact that her jogurt went missing in the fridge, and dont even think for a second that some person can just eat it by accident, or on purpose.
Why im not so sure? Since that whole tadpole stasis thing seem to be in direct contradiction with illithid reproduction system. True, on nautiloid we seen that new Mind Flayer has ben created by pushing the button, so it all can be part of some bigger experiment to improve their reproduction ... and im quite ok with the option that Lae'zel was right, and i was wrong ... i just like to remember wider perspective.
I know that we are used from games, books, and series that character that is prowiding us with informations are infallible, but what do we know? smile

About Minthara and Gut ...
That is also good point, but those two can send people to kill survivors of that wreckage just to ensure their power.
Same as Astarion told us, no Vampire need another Vampire to do as he please in his teritorium ... same goes with true souls ... they dont need competition, so they can use their zealots to wipe it out. After all, that brother and sister from Eodwin was quite obedient to your comands, since you were marked as true soul ... until you tell them that you are from wreckage, then they imediatly become hostile. And i think its bcs they must obey true souls ... yet they were send to kill everyone who survived ... therefore they dont know that on this ship was true souls. wink

And finaly a "gift" ...
Yes, you are right that our character should see tadpole as an infection, abomination, and something they wish to get rid of ... but that is just it.
The "tadpole" is what fits this description. To be more precise "usual tadpole".
And as the story continues your character trying to get rid of "usual tadpole" finds out more and more that he have very "unusual tadpole" ... and this can be quite different story. There is magic that can keep it dormant, so there is no risk for you to have it ... at last so far. Who can say if there is or isnt magic that can make it dormant permanently? :P
After all ... when you think about it ...
Lae'zel is concerned about tadpole, bcs she is zealot and she never questions her teaching ...
Shadowheart is concerned bcs she dont want to turn into mind flayer, also she sees a plot behind every corner, so she have thrust issues ...
Gael is concerned just bcs there is a risk of turning into mind flayer, yet it seems like this problem is not on top of his "to be concerned about" list ...
Astarion seems to me much more concerned about the fact that there is potential danger, if this stasis will end prematurely ... but the benefits are too sweet for him to decline it entirely ...
And Wyll? Wyll dont even seem to admit that there is any danger at all ... he feels fine, so he dont see anything to be concerned about, until he stops feeling fine.
So...
Yes, i believe that your character can put thrust into this "Absolute" that is allready saving his/hers life right now, since s/he is not turning ... and that can be quite good argument to not provoke that entity, whatever it is. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown