Why is it that I can't get a D&D product set in the Forgotten Realms to do me one better than Bethesda at character creation? Alas

Leaving it up to the mods to handle what should be a major area of focus for the game's art development is hella depressing.

They made a very conscious decision not to use sliders, but instead to rotoscope real people's faces. That's fine, most illustrators would do exactly that and using a reference.

If they scanned 2000 different people, they'd probably be able to cover most of the variety we see in the world around us and satisfy all but the most far out requests. But getting there with just a couple dozen employees or interns and some elf ears added here and there is a pretty far cry. Its so important to nail this down, since people spend more time engaging with the character creator than probably any other single part of the game.

Right now there are a couple heads I keep going back to, and the rest are basically dead weight. No offense to the models they used, but I'm just not seeing eyebrows that are sufficiently villainous enough for my tastes.

Not having sliders also means an upper limit on the number of head models, or grouping the head models in other ways, just for practical use. Clicking through a list of 100 or 200 heads... by head1 head2 etc is pretty rough. But I'm sure they'd prefer to avoid generic descriptors for the head types or facial groupings from a drop-down menu, for obvious reasons. Having sliders with a bunch of options nobody uses at either extreme is probably a waste for sure, but going against the modern grain and choosing presets has its own set of problems. Mainly the problem we're dealing with right now... not enough variety.

Its also strange, if they already have all these faces rotoscoped, why they aren't all available across the board for any character type? Like that must have pissed off somebody in the office...

"Sorry your mug didn't quite make the cut for an Elf. But don't worry, you're on the shortlist for a Dwarf preset!"

They probably should have avoided that with real people's faces lol. Or I don't know maybe they asked everyone to choose who they wanted to be first, and all their most attractive Zoolanders just filled up the auditions for the elves and half elves? Hehe

Last edited by Black_Elk; 27/10/20 01:23 PM.