Some more info on multiclassing:

When multiclassing in 5E you are basically weighing what upgrades you would miss out on against the benefits of adding a new class. Every class gets something new almost every level, so if you look at their progression charts it is relatively easy to decide when to multiclass. A big factor will be the level cap and attribute point bonuses / feats.

Every class can choose to increase their attributes or pick a feat every 4 levels, with fighters and rogues getting extras. You don’t want to miss out on these power upgrades, so you plan around them. If the level cap is 12, multiclassing 8/4 will probably be the way to go to avoid missing your upgrades. If the level cap is 14, you would usually be better off with 12/2, so you are disadvantaging your primary class as little as possible. Splitting down the middle with 6/6 or 7/7 will probably wreck your build, leaving you with only a large selection of underdeveloped skills.

Don’t multiclass to be a jack of all trades. Eldritch Knights, Arcane Tricksters, Bards, and Paladins can all do this without multiclasssing.

Multiclass to get something you want to make your character operate better or in a particular way.

For example, one of my favorite tabletop builds is:

4 Arcane Trickster Rogue / 8 Way of Shadows Monk (I’m just capping him at 12 for the sake of example.

I start with Rogue and level to 4, getting myself a 2d6 sneak attack, a small selection of spells, including my favorite reaction Shield (I hope this makes it into BG3) and 1 feat, which I take as Magic Initiate: Warlock (for the spell Hex and more cantrips).

I then level up as a monk. By the time my total level is 12 I am able to apply a Hex, giving me advantage to stunning strike. If the enemy is stunned, on my next turn I can use flurry of blows and sneak attack together to potentially deal a respectable 10d6 + 20 + any magic bonus in damage. On top of that, I can teleport through shadows, cast disguise self, have an invisible mage hand, lots of skill proficiency, and can put low level guards to sleep. This isn’t the sort of thing you can do in BG3, but on table top my character carries around an I inflatable bladder. He casts his cantrip poison spray inside of it and then prestidigitation to rapidly cool it turning the gas to liquid, so he always has access to free poison.

All of this gets you a very flavorful, viable, anime magic ninja.

I hope this gives you a good idea of how to think about your multiclass builds.

Last edited by Warlocke; 27/10/20 05:31 PM.