Originally Posted by Thrythlind
Level 1 adventurers in 5e are not common farmers or common soldiers. There is an assumption that PCs, or individual with fully fleshed out design, are exceptional individuals through talent, experience, or both. If you look at the NPC stat blocks available, most of the closest equivalents to a PC class aren't as effective. A knight is sort of a lesser paladin and a berserker is sort of a lesser barbarian.

That said, notice that some of the people stuck on that nautaloid were, indeed, farmers, bakers, students, and the like. So even if level 1 in 5e wasn't beyond the average person, there are several commoners there that are on the ship, so it makes sense someone lower level would be there.

Also, it seems Gale's story is he used to be much stronger and was smashed down to lower level. Karlach seems to have a similar situation. As much as I don't miss Level Drain as a mechanic....at all....the backstory of "I once was stronger than I am now" works perfectly well as an intro to a new campaign and character.

Having a video game start from higher level is tempting but I don't think it would be the best option in the long run. Among other things, some people don't like to just jump to high level and design the higher level character. They like to tweak the build here and there as they level to make sure there are no holes.

I would say that this "drop them in the deep end" wouldn't be a great tabletop design but Out of the Abyss exists...so there's that.

Level drain can be great. I had 2 players that were young silver dragons. They polymorphed into humans to lead a raid against a cult and their humans were all wiped out while they escaped. They tried shifting back and couldn't. Bahamut trapped them in their forms until they learned what it was like for them and maybe they'd be more careful with their lives the next time they meddled in their affairs. They've gotten moments where they got to transform during intense moments and the end of their arc will be the ability to transform again (they're druids). It has been incredible and there are some really fun mechanics with it. It can just be hard to do if the mechanic you are unlocking is Power Word Kill or something because at that point all you are mechanically doing is getting high level again and feeling weak until then. I don't like that way of doing it. Gale doin something foolish in his youth to "Notice me, Senpai" Mystra even though he was wildly out of his depth, regardless of aptitude, would be a more appropriate arc to pursue. Its always just a bit off for some reason with their stories haha.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?