Originally Posted by Thrythlind
I imagine there is some attention here, but I imagine most of their information is going to come from datamining on the people currently playing. Judging from the review numbers on the Steam entry, this forum represents a fraction of the current audience. Especially since I doubt the review numbers represent even a quarter of the people who have purchased. Because most people are lazy and tend not to report on stuff like this.

To be perfectly honest it feels like giving heavy weighting to this forum would be irresponsible since we are simply the vocal minority. Important to observe and take into consideration, yeah, but there's the risk that appeasing us actually overall harms the success of the game.

Especially since we are divided all over the place.

Some people love Jump and Shove others don't.
Some people love the complex environments and height advantage, others don't.
Some people think it's too much Divinity, others don't think so. (I need to actual play some divinity to have an effective opinion here.)
Some are fine or approve of the compromises with the Tabletop rules, others insist on total accuracy.

There's not much in the way of subjects that we aren't effectively split down the middle on. And it's not like we're allied on subjects at all times. Person A is fine with issue X but not Y. Person B is fine with Y and Z but not X. So, we're all going to find something we want not happening and in some cases what we don't get is a dealbreaker that's just the way it is. There isn't anything for but just that.

Even listening to us doesn't mean they'll decide what we say is something they want to do. We can complain all we want, say "dumbed down" or some other term, but it doesn't give us any more validity or authority. And if the couple hundred of us here on this forum all got to the point we didn't want to play the game...and given how all over we are, I doubt that would happen....it would still be a fraction of the total audience and would likely still be very successful.

Regardless of whether all the things I want to happen get in or not, I hope the game is successful because it will introduce new people to D&D which will introduce new people to the roleplaying hobby in one form or another. And even if that's just as players of video games or spectators of the RPG streams, it grows the community and reaches more people and more players and more GMs and more designers.

I like jump, and shove and height advantage, and surfaces, and the action economy, and I don't care about the hp bloat, or things people are claiming are too hard/easy, or about barrels, which i have never picked up, I don't think its very much like DoS 1&2, neither of which I really liked, except visually, which is fine imo. And I don't care about D&D tabletop, or some sort of magic fidelity to "the books". I am far more interested in bug fixes, stability, combat speed and hanging (which falls under bugs really), plot consistency, story quality and role-playing opportunities, all of which could do with some work from what I have experienced, but all in all its seems like a good game.

I'm just one of those people who are quietly enjoying the game as it stands.

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 27/10/20 06:27 PM.