Originally Posted by Eddiar
I think the problem of the evil path could be summed up with the Underdark Mushroom things vs the dwarves vs the exiled mushroom king.

In this one zone if I enter as "good"/peaceful I will meet the Society of Brilliance or whatever they are called.
Really cool interactions there! Even with a peaceful mindflayer.
They send me off on a quest and the reward is more illithid power.

There is also a deepgnome who is hurt who will give me a quest to save some slaves.
If I cure her poison I can have her pay me to free her brethren or I could just help her from the goodness of my heart.
Regardless as a player I just had a fun interaction.

There is also a dwarf lady looking for an employee, she works at Baldur's gate and needs me to find her man... which has some back story too that I felt were left unsaid. She promptly prepares leaves to Baldur's gate if I help her.

Then there is the Duegar threat and a very mad mushroom king wants me to help him get revenge.

So Evil Option 1) I side with the duegar and kill all these characters. I have to kill insane amounts of enemies equipped with poisons. Lose all these potential storylines for.... what? Some level 3-4 loot?

In that moment. Without knowing anything besides those as a player it seems such a destructive act to side with the duegar.
Its similar to killing my Origin characters. Like... I can do it but why?
So siding with the Duegar is a no go.
Not as a player because I am making the narrative of the game worse by killing all these little storylines.
Not as a pragmatic morally challenged character because all these dumb dwarves are looking for is an escaped slave and treat me like a wayward employee. And I have to help them... because absolute is bae?
Um... no? Why should I?

Evil Option 2) kill the Duegar and side with the exiled king.
Kill all the storylines happening just like the Duegar option but this time its even harder! I am already getting rewards.
This guy has literally nothing.
He is a refugee.
What could he possibly give me? Why should I waste my time?
Besides... she escaped you buddy, your slave, your problem.

So again SEEMINGLY I am killing off very interesting characters for virtually nothing besides I want to badthings because I am just so darn evil.
Thats not interesting to me.
I am being inconveniences, my loot is the same, i dont need more gold. I already have like 9000 gold.
And I am killing important characters that apparently have some storylines to offer me.

Playing evil seems to give me a poorer experience as a player.
And before someone tells me "well you don't know if the evil gameplay wont become interesting later" yes... well it might idk but I have to make my decisions based on Act 1 and the things I see in it.
And so far its very barebones.

Exactly.. This is pretty much my opinion in nearly every game that has good and evil paths, why would i bother when the story goes to nothing, the murdering everything gives no added benefits and 99% of the time it screws my game story over and sometimes literally bugs the game out...

Its why most customers don't play evil routes in games at all, its pointless and takes you no where..