Originally Posted by Rhobar121
I'll just leave it here

"Baldur's Gate 3 will similarly give players lots of tools and then let them have at it. "We'll stay true to our roots," says Vincke,
"so we'll give players lots of systems, and lots of agency to use these systems and try to accomplish what you need to on your adventure.
That's not going to change; that's the core of what we're doing."
There are some things on the chopping block, however. It's an interpretation of D&D, specifically 5th Edition, because porting the core rules, which Larian tried to do, doesn't work. Or it works, Vincke clarifies, but it's no fun at all. One of the culprits is missing when you're trying to hit an enemy, and while the combat system has yet to be revealed, you can at least look forward to being able to smack people more consistently.

"You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame. If I do that, you're going to review it and say it's shit. Our approach has been implementing it as pure as we can, and then just seeing what works and what doesn't. Stuff that doesn't work, we start adapting until it does."

This interpretation should still be more true to the tabletop RPG than its predecessors, however, capturing the feel of D&D even if it's not borrowing every single system and rule. Some of this is because of a difference in technology. Black Isle faced a lot of limitations that Larian doesn't. The studio has invested heavily in this side of things, as well as in staff, who now number in the hundreds."

https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-will-combine-the-best-of-divinity-and-dandd-5th-edition/

Well, here we go again. I’d like to add some math in the loop before diving deep into this discussion about “players don’t like to miss”

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...p;utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Please check the link to know how the changes impacted the number of turns to kill something.

Now, getting back to the discussion:

HP bloat seems harmless at first sight, isn’t it? Seems that the game is focusing more in finishing a goblin in that two turns and that’s marvelous. Now let’s build a rational:

Bless spell DnD5e : +d4 attack rolls > MAJOR increase in the chances of hitting an high ac low hp goblin > increase the chance of killing it in the first round even further = bless spell value : gold.

Bless spell Larian: +d4 attack rolls > MINOR increase in the chances of hitting an low ac high hp goblin > still needs more than one round to finish the goblin = bless spel : why I didn’t attack from highground using my crossbow instead? Additionally surfaces breaking your conc with no save.

Bless is a concentration spell, which means that you’d always want to get the best output of your spell in the first rounds. Concentration being broken is inevitable frown

I’m using bless but all utilities spells have been nerfed with this BG3 rule atrocity.

What about blasting spells? The fireball that dex saves for half will have the same accuracy as there’s no nerf in attributes. Meaning that your dear spell slot worth less. But again, who cares as you still have Larian’s bedrolls.

The damage output of the basic weapons remains the same.
If Larian want to keep that line, they’ll have to revamp every damage output in the game.

Goodbye action economy