Originally Posted by Marktheshark
Originally Posted by ulric
Larian has proven with DOS2 that they can do really great roleplaying.
But the DOS world is their own creation. Players had no expectations of the game and were unbiased.

I carry 10 years of D&D TableTop experience around with me. I expect a D&D computer game to feel like a TT game.
BG2 has done that. Also there were deviations from the rule system, but these did not undermine the D&D game feeling.
I expect exactly the same from a BG2 successor.

But BG3-EA does not meet this expectation. The DOS2 game elements are much too dominant and do not really fit the D&D rules.
At the same time, many D&D rules are implemented completely unimaginatively. A game master who lets everything be decided by the dice in every conversation would soon be out of a job.

I think Larian has massively underestimated this expectation. The question now is how they deal with the protests.

This is exactly right.
Larian was the correct studio for Divinity Original Sin 3, not Baldur's Gate 3. That's why the most prominent form of feedback on this forum is "This isn't D&D 5e."

That's not right at all. While I'm sure there are plenty of studios who could handle Baldur's Gate 3, Larian is absolutely one of them. By giving them feedback on how unfun their 5E changes are, we stand to convince them to change them. Advantage is a powerful mechanic in 5E and they surely will see that their house rules are handing it out too easily, among other things.