Originally Posted by Vekkares

Lol maybe you don’t understand math? A 75% chance is 3 out of 4. If it missed occasionally, yes it’s just bad rolls. You’re focused on one example I have given. This is consistent. Again I brought up having bad nights at the table, but I’m IN THIS GAME, there is an issue with the balance. It’s skewed on the low side. I have played enough to know when it’s bad rolls and bad roll engine. Roll20 and Beyond DND has this issue for a little while. There is a problem, beyond one example. Good lord man, sometimes you gotta think for yourself.

I think I may have a clearer idea of why this isn’t a problem because I’m a programmer, so let me explain. Just about every programming language in existence provides very simple functions to generate pseudo random numbers with an even distribution. It’s not really something you can screw up easily, and I can’t really see a seasoned video game development team somehow being unable to generate a random number between 1 and 20.

Now maybe if you’re doing some kind of weird physics simulation rolling you could mess something up. But I don’t think that is what BG3 is doing.

And as for the possibility of the percentile chances being wrong...they aren’t. You can look at the roll DC and calculate the percentages yourself...you will see they are correct. So unless the code is somehow generating a random number “wrong,” And that’s extremely unlikely, then there’s no “hidden” balance problem with the rolls.

The reality is that you’re just going to get string of rolls that “seem” unfair. It happens with tabletop D&D and it happens with games. But there’s no demon controlling the dice. Sometimes you just get a string of bad rolls and that’s really all it is.