Originally Posted by Topgoon
Originally Posted by SGTSPIRE
1. You are on a ship
2. The ship is destroyed
3. You don't die from the calamity because some unknown power saved you: DOS2 quote "I have plans for you child"
4. You wake up on land
5. You walk around to meet and possibly join your companions
6. You are united with your companions by your ailment (Sorcerer vs tadpole)

You're not wrong. It is a very common RPG introductory story set-up, although BG3 does mirror DOS 2 more than others:

BG2:
1. You're in a dungeon
2. The dungeon is attacked by a "random faction" (Shadowthieves vs. Giths)
3. You don't die during your escape because the higher power - authoritarian mage-lords - conveniently interrupt when you run into the villain
4. You escape into a foreign location
6. The game makes up various, random reasons for people to risk their lives to help you save some girl you may or may not care about

NWN2 MoTB:
1. You're in a dungeon
2. The dungeon is infiltrated by a Red Wizard
3. You didn't die from a previous "Rock Falls, Everyone Dies" because some unknown power saved you
4. You escape into a foreign location
6. You are united with your companions by your ailment (Sorcerer vs. Tadpole vs. Spirit Eater)

Suggestion:
1. You are on a ship and are infected
2. the ship escapes and returns to it's plain to retreat, because it is under attack from the Gith
3. As the ship docks you are held captive by the Mind flayers
4. The Gith follow the ship to finish the job
5. You meet Lae Zal here during the attack on the ship where it is docked (Dialogue options and choices, both of you still in your pods)
6. As you are still locked in the POD you are presented options by NPCs who interact with you:

Path 1> You agree to join the Mindflayers who open the pod, and eventually overwhelm the Gith into retreating. Maybe you meet the absolute, maybe you meet your competition.
Path 2> You join the Gith, Lae Zal or another Gith comes back and frees you from the pod. You join them in the assault, but are presented other options as it unfolds
Path 3> You stay neutral as the Events unfold, are eventually released by mind flayers, and have some unique options.

7. After time with the Gith or Mindflayers or another unique option, you are brought back to the mainland to do a main quest that isn't removing the tadpole, but that can be a over arching quest etc..

Thoughts ?

I like the addition of choice to side with the Mindflayers, but similar to siding with the Goblins in the main-game, I feel like a narrative reason needs to be added in.

By default, you currently side with the Giths because the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" (or at least a convenient tool to escape). Since you start off as an infected prisoner of the Mindflayers, there's got to be reason you'd want to choose them over the Gith.

Maybe an additional, non-hostile interaction with one of the Mindflayers in the beginning? He/she can at least give you a sales pitch (aka this Tadpole is a great honor, tons of power, etc).

Right on.
+1
I could write that narrative in this forum:

Physic voice " Do not be afraid, we may seem like the monsters you heard of, but are only attempting to save our race. Dramatic pause ... "You know, We are the most powerful and most feared of all sentients, and soon you will know that power " "When you are ready, reach out and we will begin your training"