Originally Posted by SacredWitness
Why is this 56 number propped up like it's some talisman of defense to change the game as it is?

Because it demonstrates how many other things have been affected by these two 'simple changes'. That number 56 is ONLY what is affected between levels 1 and 4 there are a LOT MORE spells and features which affect Advantage/DIsadvantage if higher levels are considered.

Pop quiz: Which do you think would be easier for the Larian team: Making changes to alter and rebalance over 56 class features and skills, or reverting the changes to height and backstabbing?

Originally Posted by Ostrago
My take on OP from someone that has only played the table top DnD game one time. I am just a gamer who loved Divinity 2 and so here I am enjoying bg3.

Missing all the time isn't just annoying, it is extremely slow paced especially in larger fights where I have to wait 3 mins to get a turn again. I like a good grind and want to feel progression as I level up, but personally leveling up to attain better accuracy seems stupid. If you are fighting something higher level, something on higher ground, something in the shadows it makes sense to have a lower accuracy. But when I am face to face with an enemy and have a 60% or lower chance to hit, of which is the same level as me, among other similar scenarios that is absurd. Lower accuracy when blinded, when an enemy has mirror image, if an enemy is a higher level etc makes sense. This base accuracy in most situations is really frustrating and takes away from the enjoyment. When an enemy is prone and I miss standing next to them it is absurd. Adding HP to enemies health pool and granting more accuracy would feel better in my opinion.

They already did that. You're looking at the "more accuracy, more HP" version right now. You have noticed that they didn't actually remove missing.

However, what that "more HP, less AC" butterfly flap did is to screw up spells which forced the enemy to make a saving throw instead, because those spells still have to pass the enemy's untouched saving throw modifier, but the increased HP means that when they do hit, they're less effective than intended. The same goes for spells which target a specific amount of HP instead like Sleep and Color spray. They were never spells which last you a long time into a campaign, but now they're even worse because the bloated enemy HP. Why bother using a spell which targets a single enemy and deals no damage when you have better options?

In order to fix those saving throw spells, Larian will need to flap the butterfly's wings again, and that will lead to more unintended consequences and more butterfly wing flapping.

Solasta didn't remove missing either, but because they stuck closer to the rules, hits feel appropriately hard, spells which require saving throws seem more useful now, and spells which target HP can affect more than one enemy, thus being more useful.

I enjoyed D:OS 2 as well, but the mechanics of D:OS 2 are quite different than that of D&D, because D:OS 2 is designed for being at full strength in every fight, and D&D is designed for attrition and managing resources.