Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid

Hustle, I’m not fan of surfaces as is. We can definitely work them out in favor of the DnD rules. There’s the raw that says that you’ll only take damage if you end your turn over it. That would work. The other one is to add an extremely easy saving throw DC. But most importantly, If you miss the spell the surface won’t be created by it. So you guarantee that it’ll only be applied if you fail your attack save. The only thing that cannot pass is to have them in it’s current state. It’s just silly

Yes, I'd agree with surfaces shouldn't be created on a miss. Don't agree with the raw rule. Running across 15 feet of fire or ice without any risk would be silly. There's room for tweaking, but I wouldn't make the saving throws too easy because then what's even the purpose of them being there? Most of the surfaces in the game do you use a saving throw, but you usually fail it and sometimes the success dice doesn't play above your head after you ran across something. Fire doesn't seem to have a saving throw(oversight/bug?), walking across water doesn't apply wet, and acid only affects you while you're in it. That's what I've noticed from testing.

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
The problem in BG3 is the double-whammy: Decreasing AC indirectly nerfs saving-throw spells by making attack-roll spells better, and increasing HP directly nerfs all spells. So saving-throw spells are nerfed twice.

I think saving throw spells are only nerfed the one time. Martial actions and attack-roll spells would be affected the same by the new hp/ac values yes? If Larian made saving throw spells more likely to hit, would that bring everything back into balance? You'd still have the same amount length in fights, you'd be hitting more to counter the increased hp, therefore concentration spells would be maintained for about the same amount of time. With this more modified system there's more appeal to casual gamers that don't like to miss and it puts more weight on strategy rather than luck. Core rules can be brutal when the dice just decide you should die and your entire party does nothing for 4 rounds in a row. Doesn't happen often, but ooph not fun.