Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Originally Posted by Arideya
Originally Posted by Anfindel
I would no sooner play a remake of BG1/BG2 than I would watch a remake of Casablanca or Wizard of Oz (note I said remake, not reinterpretation). There is absolutely NO reason to tamper with perfection.

Why? The old games haven't aged well and you can't even run the originals on newer machines - your eyes will bleed out. Plus, you already have one remake which is the Enhanced Edition by Beamdog.

I'd love the remake, but it will probably be a modded one, similar to all those attempts to recreate Baldur's Gate over the years first as Neverwinter Nights modules, then then Neverwinter Nights 2, and then Dragon Age Origins.

Aged badly? Really?
To my eyes they still look amazing. The UI is top notch. It controls fast. Story is still engaging.
In general it is usually 3D games, especially their cinematic dialogues that age badly.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is absolutely true, i mean, the actual originals havent aged so well, but the enhanced editions which allow for better resolutions have. Because the actual area art was good for its time and a well drawn location is a well drawn location. Unlike 3d games where the polycount changes and things dramatically improve visually.

For me I just don't know that Larians take on RPGs is necessarly a good fit for a remake of the old BGs. I think if Solasta had the budget to do prettier graphics, their engine would be a better fit. Why? because really Solastas "downsides" are its graphics and its story, if you can get a bit more budget for the former, remaking the BG series covers the latter, frankly. It's travel mechanics would also be excellent for the BG series, and it's approach to verticality would be more enriching for those games than BG3s approach to verticality.