Originally Posted by robertthebard
When I think of my time in Baldur's Gate, and Baldur's Gate II, I don't spend a lot of time romanticizing the world map. In fact, the only thing I clearly remember about it, when I think of it at all is that you don't get up and hit the Little Bard's Room, or go get coffee while you're fast traveling. There's nothing like being "indisposed" just to hear "You have been waylaid by enemies, and must defend yourself".

+1, assuming it's a sarcasm.

Creating the "Ye Olde BG feel" by replicating the unwieldy UI decisions made 20 years ago because of engine / performance limitations is... not the best approach, in my opinion. The entire industry has moved forward since then, significantly. Nowadays, people prefer smooth experience, they are used to it, thanks to all the progress we had in the last 2 decades. A new generation has grown, and they won't understand it.

I remember the so-called "world map" in BG1, vividly. Or rather "checkerboard", should I say.

Having said that, it would be very much appreciated if Larian would somehow manage to reduce loading times. The time required to load a game saved while in intro / tutorial differs drastically from that made after it ends. Which leads me to think that the engine loads the entire Act into memory, even though it might be an overkill. Some sort of "sliding window" algorithm would be way more performant, although I'm well aware of debugging / synchronisation challenges such a solution is usually bundled with.