Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by kanisatha

But this is specifically what several others have said does not happen, as in, time does pass inside the game and characters away from your character do move..

They "move" in a closed loop and they don't actually do a thing that alters their status until the player gets in a close range.

I.e. If two characters are fighting, they will keep swinging and inflict NO damage to each other until you're close.
If they are conversing, they will loop the same few sentences ,etc.

There's NO time progression in the game until the player rests. And even then, it's limited to few very specific scenarios that have already been activated.
(I.e. If you entered the druid grove, you have to save the tiefling girl from the bugbear assassin before resting or she'll be dead the next time you enter the area. If you don't rest, you can take your time visiting the entire region palm to palm and you'll still find the bugbear ready to assault her when you approach the area).

Hey thanks for the insightful details. I'd still very strongly prefer a true pause function, but this I should be able to live with.