Originally Posted by Dominemesis
Originally Posted by Tulkash01
Originally Posted by Seraphael
+1

I haven't been a D&D TT-player in 20 years, while I loved DOS2 apart from the much too heavy focus on loot/gear. I still agree with most of this criticism.

Larian said they would faithfully port D&D to BG3, but it feels like the inverse has happened. I would buy DOS3, but false advertising made me expect a different game than what it currently is.

I LOVE how Larian wants to incentivize tactical combat through high mobility and positioning. I HATE how Larian homebrew beaks balance to do it.

For instance consider how giving away advantage affects class and spell balance. Barbarian Reckless Rage who gives advantage on attacks while also giving enemies advantage to attacks against you, will require another homebrew (flat attack bonus) that will be very hard to balance on top of easy advantage. Martial classes are buffed to an insane level by this while Clerics who don't even get range spell attack cantrips are relatively nerfed.

I have suggested a less radical homebrew departure from D&D regarding ADVANTAGE that should incentivize tactical combat w/o breaking balance:
FLANKING: Flank +1 attack, back +2 attack
HIGHER GROUND/RANGED: +2 AC/DEX save (half cover rule simulating defensive ground) while also not getting disadvantage on prone enemies on lower ground (makes little sense).

This is basically the argument people who want to buff spellcasters and drag down everyone else use. They conveniently forget that currently spellcasters can go nova every encounter (because in BG3 EA you can always take a long rest after any encounter), wizards have access to EVERY SPELL in the game, and the damage/utility of spells eclipses what single martial attacks can do (bugged abilities aside). These facts alone makes spellcasters much more powerful than martials. But this is exactly their point, to them "D&D feels like D&D" when casters dominate the game and can do everything other classes can, but better. That's what "being faithful to D&D" means for these people, but it's not so, it's just how they interpret things according to their convenience.

Case in point, go check youtube BG3 videos and see how many people are soloing the EA using wizards compared to other classes. Strangely enough, these "devalued spellcasters" can destroy the game without needing any help from the rest of the party.

Neither scenario is good. Whether its affecting martial classes or spellcasters, both sets of changes are part of the bigger problem being discussed. Long rests are supposed to be 1/24 hours, and Wizards aren't supposed to be able to scribe every spell in the game. Advantage shouldn't be easily achieved or handed out. All of these are complaints in the same vein: Namely that Larian's changes are causing issue that could be avoided by staying more faithful to the 5E rules.

D&D 5th ed has one class that can literally switch advantage on and off as it sees fit (barbarian via reckless attack), that's how difficult getting advantage in D&D is. Sure it's supposed to be ballanced because then enemies get advantage hitting the barbarian as well but then you just need to be a bear totem barbarian and you get resistance to all damage but psychic. At the same time there are low level spells capable of giving enemies disadvantage and they only cost a sppell slot.

The truth is a good part of 5th edition is about gaining advantage on attacks and that's not so difficult to achieve.

From the very beginning D&D has been about the party, every class doing one thing better than the others and therefore all of them being importrant for play. D&D and RPGs in genral are team games, but some people want spellcasters to be able to suceed alone. Nowadays (ok, it's a trend established since 3rd ed) these same people incessantly lobby for the notion that spellcasters have the right to rule every aspect of the game ("because... MAGIC!") making all other classes redundant and therefore destroying the concept of party roles and destroying party dynamics.

What I'm seeing in this thread (but I see similar stuff in other forums about other systems) is basically just people lobbying for better spellcasters when they work perfectly fine already.