Originally Posted by Lisentia
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong
The shear mental gymnastics required to state that:

1. The forums are filled with complaints about the game feeling like DoS rather than BG
but also
2. That is somehow not a problem for a game that is supposed to be the third game in a trilogy that only *exists at all* because of the 20+ years of popularity of those BG games

is staggering.

I absolutely concur with you on this statement. Some of the DOS fans are starting to look like twisted contortionists unable to straighten out.

I always thought dividing people into groups of DOS-fans, BG-fans and D&D-fans were a bit of a false dichotomy. I'm a bit of a fan of all, much more recently a fan of DOS2 which I praised as a spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate.

I shot down people voicing the BG3 is DOS3 complaint prior to early access as premature and immature as I thought, and still think parts of the complaints are petty. Now though, I definitely agree with most of the criticisms. Not only because of the perception of Larian not really respecting the legendary title this game would not exist without, but because Larian themselves ensured us they would do a faithful port of D&D as far as they could - when this is obviously blatantly deceptive. I even think BG3 has promise of greatness, but mostly despite Larian's meme-combat, excessive loot /gear focus, and radical departure from D&D 5e.