The standard armor models for padded, leather, studded leather, chain and scale look alright. Most of the wonk factor comes with the plate.

But honestly if there were more colored variants I think I could get into it a bit more. Especially the robes.

I hope they keep the hood as a separate piece of equipment from the main armor with options to hide anything that covers the head.

I wish they'd put a ton of zots into armors like the MMOs do these days. But in BG1/2 it was basically only what 4 armored looks?

Either leather, chain, plate or basic tunic, and 2 robed looks for mages. All the rest of the variation came purely from differences in color. It was super basic by today's standards, but still each of the armor types looked pretty cool. I was fond of the chain armor look especially. But the nice part was that you could often recognize how badass a brawling enemy was by their armor. Here its much harder to tell at a glance what kind of gear someone might be wearing.

The companion gear-up for Lae'zel and Shadowheart kinda suffers from them starting out with their coolest look right out the gate. Like I rarely want to trade out their gear even with the +1s on offer with merchants. It would be cooler if they started out more basic and had to recover their coolest looking equipment from the nautaloid via a quest during some later chapter.