Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Originally Posted by Patient
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
There's another thread about RtwP. We're talking about 5th ed mechanics in this one.

The crux of the post is essentially how the game doesn't feel like Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and that many people were expecting or hoping for a game using a modernized Infinity Engine, or at least one very similar mechanically to those games. Essentialy, BG1 & 2 are 20 year old games made in an engine that was designed for a completely different genre(RTS) that just so happened to work with the rules for D&D, and both those games and BG are implementations of the D&D rules into a computerized format, albeit different editions.

That's this thread:

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=652913#Post652913

BG3 is turn based. Which is an improvement imo. You can't reduce BG feel to this issue. People who want to fight that battle do that on that very active thread. I think it's a lost battle.

It's confusing because this thread was a locked thread that combined three other threads about DOS and 5th ed rules. I was talking about HP bloat / AC reduction & dipping when the thread got merged. You may want to talk about 2nd ed vs 5th or RtwP vs turn based to make you point but that's not the conversation.

I don't know why you're getting hung up on the turn-based vs rtwp here, that's you, not me. That's just an aspect of the engine I dislike, but my point is that an RTS engine that Bioware forced D&D into is not as good as the RPG engine that Larian forced D&D into. RTwP vs TB is a part of that argument, but not the entirety of it, and you seem to be reducing my argument that that singular aspect, which is not what I'm trying to communicate here. Bioware took liberties with the AD&D 2e rules just like Larian is with the 5e rules. It's a requirement when converting them to a digital format. I feel that the changes to the rules and the engine that Larian is using are better than what the developers of BG 1/2 used. While the combat format is included in that, there are many other aspects that go along with it.

I'm saying that yes, the game is going to feel more like D:OS 1/2 than BG 1/2, because BG 3 is built using the D:OS engine, and the primary reason for it being better is that the developers of BG 3 are using an engine that was designed for RPG's from the ground up, rather than Bioware who just forced the D&D ruleset into an RTS engine. I don't want another isometric RPG, there's already a ton of them on the market. Even with their alterations to the rules, I'm still enjoying BG3 far more than I have any other digital iteration of D&D.

Last edited by Patient; 09/11/20 05:03 AM.