Originally Posted by CMF
Proper utilization of character builds, min/maxing dmg out and reducing dmg in, and then after that, some proper positioning made the game a whole lot easier.

I too do not rely on extensive use of ground effects, high ground, pushes, or various cheese. I do how ever flank constantly (normally by just walking to the side, but yes, sometimes by jumping behind if movement will cause an attack of opportunity.

Every encounter in the game was doable without any deaths (downed allies yes, but not full deaths) as I didn't even know Gale had a death story line until my second play through when I was jumping him off things to see what connected to the underdark.

This is by mostly sticking to the D&D mechanics and not the "Larian" mechanics, as many complain. Lighting was a huge issue for me at first, which made the spider tunnels and underdark drastically harder for me, but now I get it.

So basically, this game is easy, if you pay attention to the information provided to you. Hit chance, debuffs, and proper threat management go a long way, and that isn't just specific to Larian rules. I find some of these complaints of too difficult people just not understanding the mechanics.

I do however research most games I play and look at websites like fextralife or build my own spreadsheets to calculate dmg or min/max stat usage....so I guess not a casual gamer either....

I guess what I am trying to say is, does being informed and making correct decisions mean a game is too easy? Or does that simply mean you learned the right way to do things and being rewarded for playing the game well?

Someone that know the rules better than I can correct me if I'm wrong but according to me in D&D :

- Flanking in D&D is only possible if 2 allies are engaged with the same opponent and if they are both on opposite side of him. This rules apply to allies but also to ennemies.
- "Facing" is another rule that grants an advantage if you're back your ennemy but it's a little bit more complex and everyone is able to choose which side he faces after each movement... it still doesn't mean you can always disengage or hide as a bonus action or jump to easy avoid AOO.

If I'm not wrong, flanking or "backstab" advantage in D&D only apply to melee attack, not sure how it work in BG3.

Maybe this is not related to Larian's mechanic, but it's still related to their intergration of the rules.

Not sure what "proper positionning" mean since there is no cover mechanic and the only "good" position is to be higher, what you didn't "too" rely on.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 10/11/20 10:58 AM.